The team includes a senior specialist educational psychologist and a psychotherapist/play therapist
The range of work carried out by the BEST:
- Parenting support delivered to individual parents
- Family support where family issues are impacting on the child’s ability to access the curriculum and benefit from education
- Individual work with pupils
- Consultation with staff
Referrals can be made for:
- Children who would benefit from counselling work
- Joint work with parents and child
- Individual work with parents
- Educational Psychology assessments, advice and strategies towards an Education Health Care Plan
- Counsellors and psychotherapists are professionals that are trained to listen to people and can help individuals to clarify their thoughts and feelings. Counsellors and psychotherapists work short-term and/or long-term; this varies between six to on-going sessions. Sessions usually take place on school premises and during school time.
- What is discussed during these sessions is confidential and students are aware of any circumstances in which information may need to be shared with other professionals; e.g. when the person is at risk of being harmed or harming others.
- Counsellors and psychotherapists, even though independent from the school, work closely with staff members in order to offer students the appropriate support.
Educational Psychology Reports
- Full psychological assessment and report
- Cognitive assessment
- Exam dispensation
School referring an individual pupil to BEST:
- Please complete the CAF Common Assessment Framework (CAF) (This can be downloaded via the link below and submitted using the form)
- All individual referrals to work with a pupil must be accompanied by a CAF
- All individual referrals made will be assessed to ensure that services are not already deployed with the child through other sources
- Consultation sessions can be provided to support planning of an individual student or for a group of students. Depending on the nature of the concern consultation sessions can by an individual practitioner or our multidisciplinary team. Schools can also identify a topic for consultation and book a consultation session for a group of staff.
- A consultation service is available on request to all schools – please just contact us
- For consultancy and parenting no CAF is required.
- Consultation sessions can be booked directly with any member of the team
- Consultation session can look at any issue of concern to the teacher/school including addressing individual student behaviour
Parenting Support Education
- School can request specific work on parenting with a particular family
- The approach to parenting support draws on evidence based practice for example Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities.
- No CAF is required
Bespoke Packages of support:
- Requests for support can be combined in a bespoke way to include a number of specific service interventions according to the needs of the school.
Please note we can only take referrals from schools. For more information and a referral form, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To download a copy of the CAF form, please select the following link: CAF Form
Please use the form below when you are ready to submit your form.